Please export your data before your account becomes inactive. We recommend that you do the following:
- Download e-mail messages that you wish to keep.
- Export your Rebelmail contacts.
- Export data from your Google calendars.
- Export your Google Docs files.
- Copy your Google Sites to a personal Google account.
- Unsubscribe from Google Groups that you are a member of.
- Reassign your ownership role or delete any Google Groups that you own.
Moving Your Data Out of Google Apps
Rebelmail E-mail Messages
You can transfer e-mail messages out of your Rebelmail inbox using the following methods:
Forward Your Messages
If you only need to keep a few messages, you can forward them to another e-mail account that you own by doing the following:
- Sign into your Rebelmail account.
- Click on the Forward link in the box below the message to forward the message.
- Enter the e-mail address you wish to forward the message to and click Send.
If you have a large amount of messages to keep, you can use POP to download them to Outlook, Apple Mail, or Thunderbird. To download your messages via POP, do the following:
- Sign in to your Rebelmail account.
- Move all mail you wish to keep into your Rebelmail Inbox - this includes mail under labels or All Mail. Then, delete the messages you do not wish to keep from your inbox.
- Click on the Options icon located at the upper-right corner of the screen and select Mail settings.
- Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the POP Download section, select Enable POP for all mail.
- Click Save Changes.
- Now you can setup your mail client to download your messages via POP. Follow these configuration instructions to complete the process.
You can export your Rebelmail contacts by doing the following:
- Sign in to Rebelmail.
- Click on the Mail at the top left and select Contacts.
- Click on the More button and select Export from the drop-down menu.
- Choose to export selected contacts, a specific group, or all contacts.
- Select the export format from the following:
- Google CSV: Choose this option if you are transferring the contacts to a Gmail account.
- Outlook CSV: Choose this option if you are transferring the contacts to Outlook, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, or various other applications.
- vCard: Choose this option if you are transferring the contacts to Apple Address Book.
- Click Export and save the file to your computer. Now you can import the contacts into another application.
You can export all the calendars in your My calendars list at once by doing the following:
- Click on the arrow next to My calendars and choose Settings.
- Click on Export calendars. Keep in mind that you will not be able to export calendars listed under Other Calendars since you have view-only access to those.
- The zip file containing an ICS file for each of your calendars will be downloaded to your computer.
You can export the files you have uploaded to or created using Google Drive by doing the following:
- Select one or more files from My Drive.
- Click on the More button and select download from the drop-down menu.
- Choose how you want to download each kind of file (e.g., PDF, Microsoft Word, etc).
- Click Download and you will be presented with a zip file that contains all of your selected files.
You can copy your Google Sites to a personal Google Sites account by doing the following:
- Open the Google Site that you wish to copy.
- Click on the Share button at the top right corner.
- Enter your personal Gmail e-mail address in the box under Add people. Make sure Is owner is selected and Notify people via email is checked. Click Share & save.
- You will see a message warning you that the address you typed in is not part of the Google Apps organization. Click Yes to continue.
- Copy the site's URL from your browser's address bar as you will need to return to it later.
- Log out of Google Sites by clicking on your Rebelmail address at the top right and selecting Sign out. You will be taken to the Google Sites login screen.
- Sign in to your personal Gmail/Google account. Return to the Google Site that you wish to copy (use the URL you copied in Step 5).
- Click on the More button and select Manage site from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the General link from the left sidebar.
- Click on the Copy this Site button.
- Enter a new Site name and location. Click on the copy button to copy the site to your personal Gmail/Google account.
Before your account becomes inactive, we recommend the following for your Google Groups:
- Unsubscribe from any groups that you are a member of.
- If you are an owner of a group, reassigned your ownership role to another group member or delete any of your groups that are not in use.
Leave a Group
- From your Google Groups homepage, click on the My groups button.
- Click on the Edit memberships button to see a list of all the groups that you are a member of.
- To the right of the group you wish to leave, click on the Manage membership link.
- From the pop-up window, click on the Leave group button.
Add Another Member as a Group Owner
If you are the sole owner of a group, we recommend that you assign another member the ownership role before your account becomes inactive. If you do not, remaining group members will not be able to delete the group in future or make someone an owner. You can assign another member of the group the ownership role by doing the following:
- From your group's webpage, click on the Manage button to view a list of all your members.
- Locate the user you wish to update and check the box next to his/her display name.
- Click on the Actions button, and select Add to role to choose Owner.
- Now follow Steps 1-4 above to change your own membership type from Owner to Regular member.
- Now as a regular member, you can unsubscribe from the group following the instructions provided above.
Delete Your Groups
If you are an owner of a group and your group is no longer needed after you leave, you can choose to delete your group. Keep in mind that group deletion is permanent, and all posts and documents will no longer be recoverable. You can delete your group by doing the following:
- From your group's webpage, click on the Gear icon and select Group settings.
- From the left sidebar, click on Information then Advanced.
- Enter the reason why you are removing your group (optional).
- Click on the Delete this group button.
- Click on the Delete Group button to confirm.
Other Google Services
OIT only provides support for the core Google Apps services (Rebelmail, Calendar, Chat, Docs, Groups, and Sites). If you need to export data from other Google services within your Rebelmail account (e.g., Reader, Picasa Web Albums, etc.) please refer to Google's Data Liberation Site.