Frequently Asked Questions
How do I start using my Rebelmail account?
Follow the steps below to activate a brand new account. If you have already activated the account previously, you may skip to step 2.
Who is Eligible for a Rebelmail Account?
- Admitted students: Defined as students who are currently admitted to UNLV.
- Currently enrolled students: Defined as students who are enrolled in at least one course at UNLV.
- Recently active students: Defined as students who have completed at least one course at UNLV within the previous six academic semesters (spring, summer, and fall).
- Current faculty and staff: Defined as faculty and staff who are currently employed by UNLV, excluding casual temp workers and volunteers.*
- Emeriti: Defined as faculty members who are designated as emeritus faculty or staff by the NSHE Board of Regents.
*Note: UNLV Rebelmail is not a replacement for Lotus Notes.
What Do I Get with my Google Apps Account?
The community members listed above get Gmail service, an online e-mail application that offers 30 Gigabytes of storage space, and the core Google Apps services (Chat, Docs, Groups, Sites, and Calendar). The ad-free service maintains the @unlv.nevada.edu domain name.
What is My E-mail Address?
Your UNLV e-mail address is in the format of email@example.com.
What if I don’t activate my Rebelmail account?
You will not receive official communications from UNLV. This includes notices about overdue library books, billing notices, deadlines for registration, and more.
What if I already have an e-mail account that I like?
How do I set up Rebelmail on my Mobile Device or E-mail Client?
How can I change my Rebelmail E-mail address?
Your E-mail address can only be changed when you have met one of the following criteria:
- You legally changed your name
- You have received harassing or stalking e-mail, unresolved through other means
- Your e-mail address is considered offensive
To request for a change of your e-mail address, please complete the Technology Accounts Username Change Request form. You will be contacted as soon as your request is processed.
What Google services do OIT support?
OIT only provides support for the core Google Apps services (Rebelmail, Chat, Docs, Calendar, Sites, and Groups). If you have questions about other Google services such as Blogger, Maps, Picasa Web Album, and Scholar, please refer to the help section at the top right corner of each individual service.
How long can I keep my Rebelmail/Google Apps account after graduation?
Your Rebelmail account will remain active for six academic semesters (Spring, Summer, and Fall) after your last completed courses.
Can Faculty and Staff Use Rebelmail?
Yes, for now. OIT awaits legal counsel advice regarding this issue. In the future there may be a policy that requires UNLV employees to conduct university business on a university-hosted e-mail service. If that policy becomes a reality, employees who adopted Rebelmail Powered by Google may be asked to switch back to using Lotus Notes.
How do I e-mail large groups of students?
There are three ways to e-mail large groups of students. The first two listed below are e-newsletters.
- Use RAVE to e-mail all students, or students by class (i.e. freshman, sophomores..etc)
- Use SEND to e-mail students enrolled in particular academic departments.
- Request a data report from the Office of the Registrar to e-mail large groups of students via e-mail directly, outside of campus e-newsletter systems. When you e-mail students, be sure to put e-mail addresses in the BCC line.
Why did we switch to Google Apps?
The previous Rebelmail system, hosted by System Computing Services, was decommissioned on June 30, 2010. As a replacement, UNLV adopted Google Apps, which is free to us. Check out other universities who have successfully made the switch.
Where Can I Get More Information?
- Check out Google's Customer List and university case studies.
- Don Diener, Associate Vice Provost for Information Technology, is the Rebelmail project lead.
- Google's security and privacy overview and FAQs about information security
What if I become ineligible for a Rebelmail account and/or need to move my data out of my account?
Instructions for moving data out of your account can be found here.